Our Journey to Kazakhstan

Thanks for joining our journey to Kazakhstan to expand our family. Enjoy! Feel free to leave us comments by clicking the button at the bottom of any post. If you don't have a userid just choose "anonymous" for your identity.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

The First Week Home

It's to believe that we've been home with Matt for a week already - on the one hand, it's gone by so quickly and on the other, it seems like he's been here forever. We got off to a bit of a rocky start because of the 10 hour time difference and the lack of sleep suffered by us all on the trip home.


Our first family photo in America at the Quality Inn at approx. 1:30 AM.

Overall, Matt is a very good-natured kid, but he didn't sleep much the first 3 or 4 days we were back in the US - just an 1.5-2 hours at time and only a few times a day so he barely got a day's rest the first few days we were back. (This means that Mommy also barely got a night's sleep those first few days.) He has quite a temper and has no problem letting you know if he's not happy with something. He doesn't so much cry as just scream, LOUDLY. He also let us know that he HATES his crib. Fortunately, my parents came to meet their new grandson so that when we arrived home they were here stocking the fridge with some essential items, several delicious home-made meals, and loading us up with diapers, wipes and gifts for both boys. We were really grateful for the help those first couple of days and it was so nice that they got to be here to greet their new grandson, especially since they missed out on this when Tim was born.


Welcome Home, Matt


Tim unwraps Matt's gifts


Matt and Nana look at the gift from Tim's teacher, Ms. Kathy

Tim has been a terrific big brother. He's shown a few bouts of jealously, particularly when it came to Pop spending time with Matt, but overall he's been very loving. When we were in the hotel in Kazakhstan I was fairly certain he was going to love Matt to death. He's always calling him "my little cutie pie" and telling me he's so cute. He also makes sure that he hugs and kisses him before his naps and at bedtime.

Brothers

It's amazing how well and how quickly Matt has adjusted to family life, his new environment and his new routine. In just a week he's gone from being Mommy's velcro monkey, to happily letting his grandparents hold him, to playing on the floor by himself we someone in the room, to exploring the house on his own. The boys really put a smile on my face this morning. Tim was crawling from the living room (where Matt was) to the hall, to the dining room and back again, calling Matt to follow/chase him. Sure enough after a few minutes Matt appeared in the kitchen looking for Tim (who had done several laps at this point wondering why Matt wasn't keeping up). It's really cute to see them playing together.

We took Matt for his first appointment with the pediatrician on Tuesday. He has been declared perfect, but we already knew that!

Matt's personality is also really coming out. He has a quick smile and a terrific laugh. And boy does this kid chatter a lot - more than Tim ever did at this age. I'm not sure if I should be relieved that he's getting it all out now or worried that I'm going to have 2 chatterboxes soon that are only quiet when they sleep. He's also a good eater and he's not shy about letting you know that he sees you preparing his meal and he wants it, NOW.


Thanks to everyone for following along. Hope you enjoy the new pictures.


Matt playing in his first bath at home.




Matt catches up on his sleep in the swing.

3 Comments:

At 7:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie,
Congratulations! Matt is adorable and looks like he is adjusting just perfectly. The whole family is beautiful and I am so happy for you ALL!!!!! We celebrated Grant's 2 yr coming home anniversary on Sept. 9. I just cant believe how fast time flies. Enjoy every minute.
Sincerely,
Heather Wood

 
At 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't know me, but I'm a friend (thru sorority) of your Mom's of many years. I have been excitedly following your web blog and has passed it on to certain close friends who I knew would enjoy it as much as I have. Your Mom is probably tired of my asking questions when I don't understand things (like what is a "yurt" the other day!).
I hope you will keep on with more blogs -- at least for a while. I told your Mom you should be writing a book about the experience from beginning to end --other couples interested in adopting this way might be very interested in having the way laid out for them. Anyway, I want to congraulate you all -- little Matt is a delight to see and your family is just beautiful.
With love ~~ JoAnn Dahlquist

 
At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Debbie, Mike, and Tim!!
I just read your homecoming post and saw the photos. Matt is a love and I am so happy for you all. Great stories, so much fun to read.

My Sara didn't sleep well the first nights after we came home from Almaty, too. I remember that fatigue well, lack of sleep on top of the jet lag. I hope that Matt has started sleeping better by now so Mom has gotten some rest.

I look forward to hearing more. Best wishes -- I'm so happy for you all! :-)

Susan Saxon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home